Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Confessions of a "Crossfit Novice"

As some of you know I am prepping for the Crossfit (XFit) Level 1 Instructor Certification & Test coming up in 10 days :-O  Throughout this journey I joined the local XFit gym (about a month ago), so that I would have some hands on experience rather than diving head first into a cert.  In addition to the physical aspect I have been studying in my free time the 100+ page book of information I will be tested on.  I am super thankful for my Personal Training (PT) & Yoga background, because it makes reading my XFit book easier for me to comprehend.  Granted there are vocabulary words I am not used to, & so my brain is working a tad bit harder--that challenge is welcomed!  Though in the physical aspect of XFit; PT & Yoga tend to get in the way.  I learned NOT to drop weights in PT.  In XFit that is encouraged, & man does it feel AWKWARD!  In Yoga you often stand w/ your feet hip distance, or w/ your feet touching at the toes.  In XFit you choose a stance from hip distance-shoulder distance depending on the movement.  All of these aspects mixed together can be helping or hindering to my training, but I look at it as a challenge for my brain.  It is good to have different types of exercise.  Not only does it keep your body active, it also keeps your brain active!

As part of XFit self study I have chosen to take on one of the diets that is highly encouraged from Xfit, the Zone Diet.  It is a block method, & depending on your size & sex the blocks range from 2-5.  Each block is: Protein, Carb, and Fat.  The ratio is 30% Protein, 30% Fat, 40% Carbs.  I prepped my food on Sunday (that will be another blog, promise), & chose the 2 block option for me this week.  I will adjust it if needed.  It is a bit harder for me since I follow a vegetarian diet, but I made it work.  I decided I will start posting on this from time to time to keep me honest... because yes I am a real person w/ real faults--& let me tell you, last night my faults were tootsie rolls leftover from Halloween (dumped those bad boys in the TRASH this morning).  Reporting back to you all will keep me honest, & I need that right now!

Today XFit & Meals:
5:30 am Wake up!  Yes, you too can do this at least 2 times a week!
6 am XFIT WOD: 5 Handstand Pushups, 10 Pistols (1 leg squat), & 15 Pull ups & REPEAT for time (20 minutes).  I got in 5 Rounds(5:15) almost 6 Rounds.  I blame the cold, but I am SUPER happy w/ my "score".  After all I am a Novice Crossfitter, but I was able to do probably about 20 of the Pistols unassisted & that isn't too shabby!
7:10 am Home to get ready for work
7:15 am Make Breakfast: YUMMY smoothie: 1 cup Almond Milk, 1 cup frozen Strawberries, 1 small handful Cashews, and 1 Tbsp Protein Powder (I used whey).
7:20 am walk upstairs and ponder whether I will be able to walk tomorrow after all those pistols!
7:30 am showered and ready to go, but "that darn cat" broke a lightbulb, so I got clean up duty!
7:40 am walk down the stairs and ponder whether my legs will be able to safely carry me to the bottom!!!!
8 am Black Coffee & working the dream...okay okay you caught me--working the job that I am VERY appreciative to have as an administrative assistant.
12:30 pm Lunch and typing this blog just for you!  Lunch: Lentils w/ Kale, Onions, Bell Peppers, Garlic, & vegetarian sausage.  Not sure how I feel about the sausage-its tasty, but I prefer my proteins to come from beans, and such.  I noticed the Zone diet has a lot of soy products in it & I am not sure how I feel about that.  Don't get me wrong, I do eat them-but in moderation.  I just think the more processed things are, the better I stick to whole foods.

Well, that is all I have for my schedule so far.  I am unsure about my dinner as I am going to an Honors Convocation for a good friend of mine tonight.  You can be assured I will make good choices there, or hold off until I get home.

Yours Truly,

The Crossfit Novice

No comments:

Post a Comment