Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tomato Soup!

My son came home and requested tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner. I was super excited because he HATES tomatoes, but I didn't have any tomato soup cans. Well low and behold you can actually make tomato soup from scratch! How stinking exciting is that? Though I must confess that I half cheated as it is winter in Michigan and all I had was canned diced tomatoes, keep in mind I do read labels closely so there is either no or low sodium, and that is it!

Recipe:
1) Chop an onion, add a bit of olive oil to a heated pot, saute onions until tender but not brown. Next time I make this I am adding in chopped garlic cloves. Then dump in 3 lbs of tomatoes or 2 heft cans of the healthiest tomatoes you can find. Cook until tomatoes have covered in their juices.
2) Remove from pot and blend/process.
3) Return to pot and heat. I topped ours w/ black pepper, sea salt, and basil that I crumbled in my hand.

4) Prepare grilled cheese w/ cooking soup. This can be as healthy as you make it. Crappy bread and "Cheese", higher fiber bread and cheddar, or maybe Ezekiel bread and goat cheese.

5) I tried to make this kid friendly and added Parmesan cheese. I should have used the real stuff I had, but as you can see in picture 6 I don't think the cheese would have made a difference because...
6) Keem STILL hates tomatoes, but he ate all I gave him and asked for a healthy dessert. This kid always surprises me!
7) Banana, Kiwi, and grapes, aka "Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy!" (Thank you Wiggles. We will forever reference that song!)
1
2



3

4
5
6




7

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! He looks like he's loving it! I <3 tomato soup and grilled cheese. I may have to make my own now :)

    ReplyDelete